Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How busy are you?

I am so busy. I didn't even know work could get this busy. They did not tell me this. When you sign up for a job you don't think to ask things like, "Will I need to bring a toothbrush in my purse?" or "How many days in a row will be 20 hour ones?"

I am having a hard time understanding the lack of flexibility. A client says, "I need this project done. Can you have it done in five weeks?" and the company, instead of saying "We can get it done in five weeks IF we begin two weeks from now," says "You bet!" The thinking is that if you say no to the client they'll just go to some other company that can meet their deadline. But these are arbitrary deadlines. So why can't they just move them? Why would they want to give business to a client who would work their employees such harsh hours?

Last week we were working so many hours for so many days that we were each given a night off and had dinner at a nice restaurant comped. I was so excited to spend time with Josh while we were both awake, and for once being the one to get to take him to a fancy place for dinner was exciting too. Except during our appetizers I got called back into work! It is possible I may have cried in the cab.

So that's how busy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry the hoyurs are so long. The early years in public accounting can be so brutal! You will survive, but it may be hard.

The rewards are great though, and you have certainly triumphed over harder challenges.

Amanda

Suzanne said...

I was wondering where you were, Sam! Now is the time where you are paying your dues. It will get better.

Anonymous said...

That's what I was thinking...you're paying your dues at this type of job and in the end it usually pays off quite well. If anyone's up to it, you are.