Thursday, October 22, 2015

Better

It turns out that people are happy to help you spend money. When I explained I wanted to book a long weekend at her bed & breakfast for my boyfriend and use a credit card, the woman was super helpful.  In fact, she was so enthusiastic over the phone that I worried when we got there it would be a total sham of a nightmare, so I found a nearby hotel as a backup plan just in case.

We left Friday morning, after Josh's dad got us a car to use, and drove upstate, to Hudson Valley. He did not want to do this. I insisted. Exactly four minutes after we got there, I saw the stress leave Josh's face. Exactly six minutes after we got there, Josh admitted I was right. Which means you were right, so thank you.

The woman on the phone was totally legit, thank god. She delivered everything she promised. I signed us up for two in-room massages - one on the Friday we got there and one on Monday before we left. I rented us bikes to ride around exploring. I signed us up for some "pie in bed" thing where they deliver a fresh pie to your room. We went apple picking and pumpkin picking. We hiked. We did a balloon ride. We went horseback riding. We went on a cruise of the Hudson River. Basically, we "did Fall" all weekend. The entire time we were upstate, Josh did not mention his mom or sister even once.

More proof of the fact that we belong together: Josh and I are on the same page about antiques and outlet shopping. Two hours each, tops. We brought home a ton of apples, and Monday night I made apple crumb pie, non-crumb pie, and apple sauce, then for dinner on Tuesday night I made pork chops with apples and garlic smashed potatoes. After dinner, Josh asked me if there was such a thing as apple soup.

It is such a relief to find out I can plan an entire trip for us and make it fancy enough for Josh to enjoy. 

10 comments:

One crazed mommy said...

So glad you both got away - I know it was hard for him to leave, but glad that he did it for you, and enjoyed it too!! Sounds like you had an amazing time. You both deserve to get away and enjoy each other without the stress of everyday life! All the apple stuff sounds amazing...yum!!!

Karen said...

what a great weekend. Congrats on making this plan and pulling it off!

Anonymous said...

one word for you...YAY!!

Nina said...

It sounds like it was just the thing that you both needed (and deserved!). So glad for you both.

Anonymous said...

Well done!

So glad you did this.

Try butternut-apple soup.

SmileyGirl said...

Love it and sounds like it was just what you both needed!

Amanda said...

What everyone else said! You both needed and deserved a break and the time as a couple!

Suzanne said...

I am so glad to hear this!!! What a great thing for the two of you!

Anonymous said...

That was great! Hope you have more times like that.

traci in virginia said...

I wanted to click a "like" button on your post! So very happy you got some time away!! Know that someone from Virginia is always sending positive thoughts your way!